Tuesday, October 13, 2009

ANG AKALA KO!



Kapatid, game Ka na Ba? When I was a child, in one gathering that I attended, (without knowing it is a celebration of the Holy Eucharist) I asked my mother “Who is that game show host at the middle of the crowd? She told me,” He is the priest.” From that time on, I consider that priests are Game Show hosts. And I observed in the celebration, he is everyone’s center of attention, a presider in the spotlight with dramatized reading, facial expressions, and gestures. Again I asked my mother about it, and then she told me “because that is his role”. Then I consider priests are Best Actors. When he talks, everybody listens; when he walks; he is a sign of graciousness. On the third time I asked my mother, "Are all priests famous?”and she answered, “Yes son, they are well respected and honored in every places”. From that time on I wish to be become a priest because I want to be a game show host, a best actor and a famous personality.
Now as a seminarian looking back to these thoughts, I chuckle। I have new thoughts now. As priestly identity is concern I would say that priests are show hosts of every celebration of the Eucharist as “Alter Christus” – the another Christ who should engaged in a level of profundity in the action of the Church and actual performance of the liturgy, representing Christ to the people. The priest is the presider in the Spotlight, acting to be visibly holy, humble and human. This should be our regular encounter with them and see a priest in front of us who had made clear option for the Gospel and who wanted us to experience and encounter Christ in our life; that whenever we see a priest we have a sense that we are traveling with the Lord everyday of our lives, recognizing him yet burning to find him. The priest is asked to make the entire gift of him, to lay down his whole life as a sign of his great love for the Lord and his flock। This is not something imposed on outside on the person offering himself for the priesthood. It flows naturally from all that it means to be a priest – someone who 'signs', 'images', 'represents' and shares in a very special way the ministry of the Christ, our Eternal high Priest.

We have many thoughts about priests, may these be his weaknesses or aptitudes, but let us dig deeper among our presumptions and misjudgments about them. Huwag tayong maniwala sa ating maling akala. Let us honor and appreciate our priests this special year allotted for them. Let us pray for their sanctification and the need to strive for spiritual perfection.

ALLEN IŇIGO, SSS

No comments:

Post a Comment